Home » Being a Small Business

Setting up shop

I dare say that this has been one of the craziest busy weeks I’ve had in awhile! But I had to take some time out to share a little of the progress I’ve made inside the store.

First, we had the walls painted! Goodbye yellow and pale green (not that we didn’t like you, just that you wouldn’t quite match our decor)…

DSC_0009

Hello, blank canvas white! We chose to go with Behr’s Interior Flat Enamel in Decorator White to keep it simple and let the focus be on the fun, colorful products we’ll be carrying. It’s amazing what a fresh coat of paint will do. The place felt instantly bigger, newer and brighter! I have a great painter to recommend if you need one. You’ll notice that the place is a little more cluttered today than it was pre-paint, but that’s because Jimmy and I started moving stuff in over the weekend!

IMG_0009

Today was the first day I spent an extended period of time at the shop (5 hours). Thank goodness I had my laptop/iTunes otherwise I’d have toiled in silence! I spent most of the day assembling an IKEA table, wiping down surfaces, putting up some of the display fixtures I bought from Grand & Benedicts Fixtures on Monday, and observing as Steven from the Alameda Towne Centre masterfully fixed the pressure-assist system inside the toilet tank.

It was awesome when Jamie came in to hang two nicely sized “coming soon” signs. They’re great because once they went up, almost every passerby stopped to peek curiously into the window. Thanks Jamie!

IMG_0011

The next highlight in my day was when Marianne of Maebee Jewelry — and my fellow Full Time Etsy Crafters (FTEC) team member — came by with her product delivery! I look like I just crawled out of bed, but Marianne was kind enough to say that it’s only because I was working hard. I like that Marianne. :]

IMG_0013

Her chic little bracelets look perfect on my new T-bar display, and I love the tiny branded stickers she attached to each one.

IMG_0014

I was also incredibly happy when the postman handed Rachel Austin‘s package of goods to me too! Rachel’s yet another member of my FTEC team. I’m so lucky to have such a talented circle of team members. I’m still toying with the displays, but here’s my first crack at putting Rachel’s work up:

IMG_0015

IMG_0017

There’s a lot more to be done, but I’m pretty happy with the progress so far! We’ll see what tomorrow brings…

Similar Posts:

Popularity: 6% [?]

Share/Bookmark this!

13 Comments

• XO Handworks says:

It looks like a great space! And yes, much better in white.
    Best wishes on the rest of the work to be done before opening :)
    Tam

• Looks great! You and Marianne are sooo cute!

• Wow, Eleen!! You are going to an incredible amount of work for all of us…your enthusiasm is so appreciated. :) I sent you 6 scarves from the Warm, Thick Snuggly line today.
    Hugs and thanks,
    Celeste (Crickets)

• it’s looking fantastic! i can’t wait to see more photos as you get closer to opening!

• Angelina says:

The store is coming along fantastically! The new paint job really did make a world of difference! So exciting! Please continue to share pics, love seeing all the progress you’re making!

• Susie says:

The store looks AMAZING! Can’t wait until the Grand opening!!!

• Kel says:

I wish we were there to see your store! But it looks like FAB from all the pics I’ve seen. Good luck!

• Eleen says:

Wow, congrats! I can’t wait to visit, and finally meet another “Eleen!” Haha…will the store be open before the holidays for some xmas shopping?

• This site is a great example of quality writing. I follow with keen interest and it keeps me sane in times of need. I have given raving reviews to my friends, and they are all going to visit soon, I’m sure. Congrats on your writing style – it is very accomplished and merits a lot of credit, something which too many quality bloggers do not receive enough of. I wonder if you could write more often (that’s not to say you don’t update enough) but I confess that is merely me being greedy. I definitely am very thankful for your writing and I anticipate reading what you have to say in the future.

• Notifications, figures and arguments what else one requires to be satisfied. I appreciate the pattern how posts are assorted by date, month and year. Stunning to see that near all posts are banded together with related pictures. I like how the site provides the good recommendations on anything. Visitors can have an expression and leave their views on every post which is a necessity for a blog. There are no irritating pop-ups as some have.

• I am going to promptly get the rss after i are not able to locating ones e-mail ongoing website link or even publication assistance. Are there almost any? Be sure to allow me know so I might sign up to. Thanks.

• Hey there, cool webpage you have right now.

• Charline says:

Unquestionably consider that that you said. Your favorite justification appeared to be on the internet the simplest thing to remember of.
    I say to you, I definitely get annoyed even as people think about concerns that they just don’t
    know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the highest and
    defined out the entire thing with no need side-effects , folks could take
    a signal. Will probably be again to get more. Thank you